On December 1, 2006, Eric Weis was sworn in as State’s Attorney for Kendall County. Since then, Eric has worked to improve the quality and experience of the prosecutors in his office. He has implemented new programs to assist victims of crimes and the public. These include:
* A stronger partnership with the Mutual Ground Shelter to assist victims of domestic violence
* A stand alone Child Advocacy Center in Kendall County
* A Bad Check Restitution Program for area businesses
Eric has also worked with law enforcement to strengthen the relationship between the State’s Attorney’s Office and local police agencies. New procedures help to ensure better investigation which result in a higher conviction rates and better results for victims. Free training seminars are provided to law enforcement to ensure successful prosecutions. Eric worked hand in hand with law enforcement to increase the seizing and forfeiting of vehicles used to commit crimes in Kendall County. Eric strives to make the Kendall County State’s Attorney’s Office a well-run, professional office that the People of Kendall County can always be proud of.
Eric continues to prosecute the tough cases. Over the years, he has constantly maintained a high conviction rate while prosecuting some of the most serious and complex cases. During his career, Eric has been primarily responsible for the prosecution of major felony offenses, including violent crimes, such as:
· Reckless Homicide
· Armed Violence
· Home Invasion
· Weapons Offenses
· Drug Offenses
· Sexual Assault cases, including those involving children as victims
In addition to prosecuting criminals, Eric also represents Kendall County in civil issues involving Kendall County. He drafts legal documents, reviews contracts, and provides legal advice to Kendall County Elected Officials and Department Heads, including the County Board. Eric has developed protocols and procedures for the Kendall County Major Crimes Task Force and the Questionable Death Protocol. Eric is very proud that Kendall County is one of the top counties in the State of Illinois for child support enforcement, collecting record amounts of child support from “dead beat” parents. Eric also ensures that local governmental bodies comply with the Open Meetings Act. This allows the public to be informed as to what their local government is doing. Even with the increased growth in Kendall County, Eric continues to maintain a balanced budget while still providing the needed services to the People of Kendall County.
In October of 2002, Eric was appointed as the first ever, Kendall County First Assistant State’s Attorney. Eric held this position until being elected as State’s Attorney. As the First Assistant, Eric was the supervisor of all other prosecuting attorneys in the office, the victim/witness coordinator, and the support staff.
Prior to becoming the First Assistant, Eric was responsible for the prosecution of all type of cases including criminal felony cases, domestic violence offenses, criminal misdemeanors, drug offense, DUI’s, juvenile cases, child support enforcement, and traffic offenses.
Throughout his career, Eric has been involved in many
organizations as State’s Attorney for Kendall County including:
- Illinois State’s Attorney Association
- Kendall County Chief’s of Police Association
- Illinois Capital Litigation Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- Kendall County Bar Association
- Kane County Bar Association
- Major Crimes Task Force Executive Board
- Kendall County Child Advocacy Board
- Fight Crime: Invest in Kids Executive Board
- Kendall County Juvenile Justice Chairman
- Senator Kirk’s Anti-Heroin Federal Task Force
- Family Violence Prevention Steering Committee
- Kendall County Farm Land Protection Committee
In 2013, Weis was nominated and sworn in as a member of the
United States Supreme Court Bar in Washington D.C.